More oil when it's cool to freezing but less when it is warm to hot

 We knew that this upcoming summer would be a scorcher like last summer, so I needed to find a way to fry tempeh is less oil but still have that almost crunchy fried feel, so I asked the Internet and was pointed in the direction of the air fryer.

The air fryers that are selling on the market are essentially convection ovens that blow hot air around the food, so one can air fry many foods quickly with little or no oil, and they can turn out to be quite delicious.

So here's a simple way to prepare and air fry tempeh:

You get a package of unfrozen tempeh , open it  and using a good long sharp knife, slice the tempeh into 16 to 32 pieces (I like cutting them up into 32 small bite sized triangles) and while I am cutting the tempeh I heat up the air fryer in my case holding a silicone bowl   (which saves me from having to wash the air fryer tray so often).

When I have finished slicing the tempeh and the air fryer finishes heating up a bell rings and I open the tray  and using tongs place all the tempeh pieces into the silicone bowl slide the tray back into the air fryer, set the fryer up at the highest temperature and for 1 minute then push the button to start the warming up the tempeh.

While I am warming the tempeh I get a large glass jar (more than 16 fl.oz. size, pour a tablespoon of avocado oil in it, then a tablespoon or 2 of coconut aminos, and the same of shoyu, a few shakes of cumin, the same of coriander and the same of garlic powder or granules (when it is really hot out, I like to add some turmeric as well).

The air fryer bell rings, I put the open jar nearby and using the tongs move the warmed tempeh into the jar then slide the tray back into the fryer, place the lid tightly onto the jar and shake it vigorously to coat all sides of the tempeh.

If I am in a hurry I place the jar in the freezer or otherwise the refrigerator and let the sauce marinate the tempeh then remove the jar from the fridge but just before doing that heat the air fryer again for a minute and  and then after the bell rings slide the tray open and transfer the marinated tempeh to the silicone bowl and then slide the tray in, and at the highest heat air fry for 3 minutes

When the bell rings slide open the tray and using the tray handle pick it up and shake the partially fried tempeh around then slide the tray back into the fryer and  set the temperature for the lowest heat and fry it for 4 minutes.

The tempeh comes out delicious and al dente and if I didn't have some self-control I would gobble it all up.

But in my case I remove a third of the tempeh to serve with a meal and the other 2/3 I put into a clean 16oz jar, let it cool for a while before storing it in the fridge for future meals

I have discovered that I can go through almost the same procedure with firm tofu, but in the case of the tofu that usually is about twice the volume of the tempeh, I cut it in half and in fresh filtered water I put the unused tofu in the original soft package, and then place that in a freezer zip lock bag ind on a door shelf of my refrigerator.

The half that I am using i could put between 2 plates with a weight, but I happen to have a medium-sized Japanese pickle press, so I put the tofu in the press and turn the screw all the way and let it squeeze the excess liquid out of the tofu for 5-10 minute.

I then follow the same procedure as with the tempeh heating up the tofu in the air fryer, marinating it with the same or a different sauce, then air fry it twice, and it is almost crunchy.

Now I realize that may folks want a recipe instead of the story of what I do/did and why, so here it is:

Ingredients

    1 8-ounce package tempeh sliced into 1/2"-1" cubes or triangles
    1 tablespoon avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
    1 tablespoon coconut aminos and/or soy sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic powder or minced/pressed
    1 teaspoon each of coriander, cumin, tumeric, and/or curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt or salt to suit personal preference (optional)

Equipment

air fryer
silicone or air fryer paper bowl
knife
cutting board
mixing bowl and/or 16+oz jars
tongs or large spoon
refrigerator

Instructions

    1. Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
    2. Prepare tempeh by slicing into ½-1" cubes
.   3. Heat tempeh to 390°F in a silicone or parchment bowl in air fryer
    4. Place tempeh cubes into a large mixing bowl or jar with lid.
    5. To the same container add avocado oil, coconut aminos, spices & garlic/ginger
    6. Toss and shake to coat.
    7. Marinate for at leat 10 minutes in frige or freezer
    8. Heat up to 390°F the bowl in tray in the air fryer.
    9. When marination has finished, place the tempeh in a bowl in your air fryer
    10.Air fry to 390°F for 3 minutes
    11.Open tray and shake the tempeh around the bowl
    12.Air fry to 390°F for 3 minutes
    13.Either serve all with your meal(s) or store a portion in a clean dry jar in the     fridge


Thank you, very much.

Bruce Paine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Ways to Control Your Tempeh